Saturday, February 14, 2015

B.L.R. Studios


Affordable Websites
Come check out my website and see if it fits your needs. Click link below.




Facebook and Till Death Do Us Part
By Connie H Deutsch  |   
Whenever I've signed up for anything, I always expected my membership to end at the time of my death. If I sign up to take a course at a local college, I expect that when I die, my professor will assume that I won't be attending any more of his classes. When I join a book club, and the members see my obituary, they won't be expecting me to read the next month's book selection.
I even expect Amazon, Costco, and vitamin companies to stop sending me ads to buy their merchandise. I know that when I die, my hair and nails will continue to grow for a little while but I assume that my phone calls will eventually stop.
It just makes sense to me that if I have already dropped my mortal coil, whatever material goods I had will go to my beneficiaries, with the possible exception of such things as trust funds or scholarships, or things that are planned to live on beyond our earthly life.
And, maybe, that's why it came as such a shock to read that when I die, my Facebook account will live on, profile and all. People will still be able to write on my Timeline but, presumably, I won't be expected to respond to those comments since I'll already be dead. But, who knows with Facebook? For all we know, Facebook will be so desperate for members that our bodies will be exhumed just so that we can write something on our Timeline from the grave.
The way it is supposed to work is that Facebook will let users (that's us) designate a "legacy contact" who has our permission to post messages to our Timeline, respond to friend requests and update our profile picture and cover photo. We can even give permission to let this person (presumably one who is still alive) download an archive of photos and posts shared, but we won't be able to log in or access any private messages because we'll be dead.
Facebook would have us believe that this all came about because they didn't know what to do with our accounts after we die. Didn't they ever hear of shredders? I understand they are so effective that even people in government, who don't want to leave a paper trail of their misdeeds, shred every document they can find that might lead the authorities to them.
But, apparently Facebook doesn't care about leaving a paper trail. In fact, they want to leave a paper trail that is so extensive that it will live on in perpetuity. And, if they can figure out a way to bring us back from the grave long enough to buy some of their products, that will be the next thing they will try to do.
Long live Facebook!! Some things never die, even us.
Connie H. Deutsch is an internationally known business consultant and personal advisor who has a keen understanding of human nature and is a natural problem-solver.

No comments:

Post a Comment